TOP TEN TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL EVENT
1. Plan well in advance - depending on the size and nature of the event - planning can start anywhere from 3-18 months in advance.
2. Fix budgets with breakdown for all the elements, so frequently forgotten - from venue hire to teas and coffees. Be conservative and build in some contingency.
3. The venue and speakers should be booked first - without a date, a place and content there is no event!
4. When booking the date, make sure it doesn't clash with anything it shouldn't - bear things in mind like other local events, competitive events, holiday periods, bank holidays, etc.
4. A dedicated communications plan for the event is always a good idea, so that timings and budgets are put in place for how you will reach your target audience.
5. Response handling - make sure you have several mechanisms in place for delegates to respond to, direct mail, telephone, internet, fax. Make it EASY for them to come to your event.
6. Keep the branding of the product or service consistent in all communications.
7. Apply basic project management techniques to larger events so that you can see the knock-on effect of each activity within the planning process and that you can map milestones between inception and completion.
8. Use the evaluation form not just to gather information about the attended event, but let your audience drive the content of the next event!
9. If your event is the type for name badges, check, double check, treble check the spelling of names! If it's been handed in hand-written and is illegible, phone and check! Cardinal sin - misspelt names!
10. Plan for things to go right and plan for things to go wrong! Try and pre-empt the things that could go wrong and put contingency plans in place where possible - where not possible, wing it!
event management for exhibitions, conferences, seminars, workshops, AGMs, product launches, awards ceremonies, from 10 to 2000 delegates.
We can organise part of it, most of it or all of it! The success of an event is dependent on scrupulous planning, organisation and control. If you do not have the resources or expertise in-house to guarantee a successful event, then we can do the job for you. Event Management Services include any or all of the following (click on the service to find out even more):-
We will find the right venue for your event and select the right menus for your guests. We will make all the arrangements with the venue including equipment hire, staffing, catering timings, acoustics, access, storage, parking, set-up and break-down. We'll cross all the t's and dot the i's to make sure your event runs smoothly.
If your event is a distance away, or your delegates or speakers are coming from far and wide, we can organise all travel, whether overseas or national, from flights to train tickets and taxis. We will see to their every whim, from extra large beds to vegan dietary requirements. We aim to make their life easy, which can only reflect favourably on your business. We remain completely accessible, at odd hours so time differences present no problems to us.
You may already have your speakers, or we can find just the right ones to match the occasion, from master of ceremonies to keynote or celebrity speakers or facilitators. We will make all the arrangements with the speakers or their agents, and we will work with you to write the speaker brief. Your speakers will know where they're going, how they're getting there and what they need to do when they get there!
If you are trying to target an audience that you want to tap into or grow from your existing contacts, we will work with you first to identify them (they may not be who you think they are!), and find the best ways of reaching them, including sourcing the best database. We will conduct all the counts, criteria building and list management to ensure you get the best data at the best price.
Whatever marketing collateral you are producing for your event, we can provide all the copywriting as well as the design. This can include fliers, invitations, covering letters, evaluation forms, advertisements, posters, etc. Our copy is never generic - there is no 'one size fits all' when it comes to copy. You will have unique and tailored copy which will retain your branding values and reach your desired outcomes.
The marketing of your event is vital to the event's success. After working with you to determine your budget, your audience and the best way of reaching them, we will devise and manage your marketing campaign. We can manage your social media, set up your Facebook events, tweet about them, run your email campaigns and explore business partnership opportunities for mutual benefit.
When your delegates book onto your event, we can handle the responses and any future contact that's needed such as distribution of tickets, early bird or late bookings. We'll make sure that cancellations are handled with the best customer service practices and within your cancellation terms. We'll treat your delegates in the way we would want to be treated.
We can liaise with your speakers to make sure we are providing the correct audio/visual equipment for your event, from the die-hards who still like OHPs, to the high tech ipods plugging into laptops and everything in between. We can assist with receiving presentations from speakers digitally and loading up at the venue so we're ready to go, as well as arranging printed handouts of presentations to give to delegates.
Events, like most budgets, can quickly spiral out of control if not planned and managed properly. We will carefully plan your budget with you, making sure all the forgotten costs that can sting later on, are taken into account. We'll build in milestones so that you can take appropriate action as and when you need to. Whether your event is a meeting for 10 or an exhibition for 2000, your project and financial plan will become the backbone of your event.
We can produce your delegate packs for you (from full design and print to inhouse photocopying), name badges (spelled correctly!), registration and evaluation forms. We'll co-ordinate with your partners when contributions are coming from external sources, to ensure the right quantities (at the right quality) arrive in time and intact.
Pulling it all together at the end, just before kick-off, with run-throughs and/or briefings will mean that everyone knows not only what they are doing, but what others are doing too, and how their role fits into the big picture of the event. In our experience, this avoids 'headless chicken' syndrome and 'tail chasing' activities at the eleventh hour when stress levels can run high. We, of course, stay calm and cool.
At the end of your event, we will collate the evaluation forms and produce an analysis and post event report. This can include separate interviews with selected or randomly chosen attendees, online surveys, etc. Our recommendations will help feed into future planning of your next event.
When you might need us....
- When you've got an idea for an event that you want to run but no idea where to start
- When you've got an event running but it's not getting the attendance it deserves
- When you've got an event planned but you don't have the staff to manage it
- When you've got part of an event planned but need help to expand it
Larger Events Managed by Charlie Apple:
Business In Film
Wimbledon FoodFest - March 2010, June 2011
Wimbledon Winter Wonderland - 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Green & Fresh (Exhibition and Seminar)
Business Exhibition - Merton Borough
UnConvention Exhibition - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006